Review Of British Miracle

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
EPH
Dispatcher

British Miracle Unread post

I thought I would show potential players what is 'under the hood' of British Miracle by talking about the design. This is Japanese Miracle's bigger, badder brother, starting in 1830 and ending on or before 1870. The object is to ramp up the British economy and jump-start the industrial revolution.

First of all, patience and an eye for the long haul may be required. The starting cargo numbers are low and the economy builds fairly slowly. The economic engine is coal-fired, just like your locomotives. :wink: Coal hauled by ALL railways, AIs included, controls industrial output and imports of cotton, iron, logs and grain. Once 25 to 50+ loads of coal are being hauled each year, the economy will begin to boom. Only coal YOU haul counts for your Silver or Gold victory conditions, however. Look on the last page of the ledger for a detailed breakdown.

In the beginning, build a railway rather than investing in industry. Liverpool-Manchester-Birmingham is a good starting area, but others (Bristol, London) may work well for you. Get started hauling cotton to the mills and clothes to the cities and docks. Once the annual coal haul comes up over 25 or so, build or buy up industries as they will be running at normal or above. Hotels, restaurants and taverns are profitable.

Once you begin laying track you must pick a gauge. Broad gauge is more expensive to lay (40%) and much faster (25% plus 1 acceleration level); standard gauge gives ordinary cost and performance. Track maintenance is HIGH and WILL GET HIGHER but is the same for broad and standard track. Make sure your routes earn a profit! You must maximize revenue and minimize expense or the rising costs (and tax) will eat you up.

First goal is to connect 45 cities by August of 1846. Parliament will make broad or standard the law of the land, and you will win if you control the votes, so 45 cities must be connected with YOUR stations. If you can get more than one city in the footprint of a station, they all get counted! So build, build, build! You will make a lot of money in the early years. I usually win the Gauge War by 1842 to 1844.

From 1842 to 1844 it gets harder. Parliament re-imposes the income tax and begins exerting more control over the railways. One law requires your average annual express speed to be 12 mph or faster. If you fall below this you will be fined $50,000 every month until you fix the problem. Double-track your bottlenecks, improve bridges, upgrade to faster locos or (last resort) use priority PAX trains. I have used two stations for Birmingham and two for London to cut down on the congestion.

In 1851 the Great Exhibition will give you a large passenger surge. After that passenger production (and prices) begin to fall. This reduces the otherwise-huge cash glut and frees up cars for freight, which is what you win the game with. Better locos pulling more cars (like Firefly and Crampton) will give your annual hauling totals a boost.

Buy your way into Scotland and buy or develop the industries there. Edinburgh-Glasgow-Ayr and Edinburgh to Aberdeen are profitable routes. Connecting Edinburgh to London takes time and money, but it is pretty straightforward. Whether or not you should build in Ireland is determined by the raw material available there. Buying in is fairly cheap (like access to Scotland) and the railways are easy to lay. Industry in Ireland can turn a good profit and any loads you haul will count. So don't overlook Ireland! :)

Take every opportunity to increase your textile output. Once 1848 rolls around you can begin weapons and ammunition production. 1856 means Bessemer steel arrives. Britain will have A LOT of textile mills and tool and die shops; get as many of them working as possible. I rarely have a time when clothes and goods aren't profitable to haul.

AVOID letting textiles, goods, weapons and ammo be manufactured in a city that has a port or warehouse that demands them! You want to HAUL these, remember!

You will be offered a chance to pay for dock improvements. This costs a lot ($10 million up front or $120,000 per month for ten years) but markedly improves your imports, especially iron.

The Crimean War in the 1850's will boost weapons and ammo prices. There is a bank crash in 1857 that gives a Depression, and the American Civil War arrives in 1861 to shut off cotton imports (look for wool and don't panic; as clothes get scarcer they get more expensive and they travel more :P ).

There aren't any real tricks to this one - certainly no government bonds or land sales :) - just straight-ahead steaming. Building the economy does take patience and ruthless expansion of rail net and industry alike. Above all else, be profitable and efficient - track maintenance costs can be brutal!

Once the coal, clothing and goods haulage victory conditions for Silver are ALL met you will qualify to work on Gold. Hauling 1000 coal, 1000 clothes and 500 goods each earns you one point. When you have those three points you can begin to add points for Gold; three points is a Silver and eight points is a Gold victory.

Bronze:
Connect London to Edinburgh by 1870

Silver:
Connect London to Edinburgh
Haul 1000 coal, 1000 clothing, 500 goods by 1870

Gold:
Win the Battle of the Gauges
Connect London to Edinburgh
Haul 2000 Coal, 2000 Clothing, 1000 Goods, 50 Weapons and 50 Ammo

I hope you enjoy the game. Thank you to wolverine and bombardiep for their advice and patient play-testing; the things you like about this one are probably the result of their labor. Any errors are, of course, mine.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Okay, British Miracle has shipped in time for the weekend. Let me know what you think.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

...and it's now available here. :D
Hawk
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

This was a fun map, even though I only got bronze. One thing in this post it says that you need 500 goods for silver and 1000 for gold, but in the briefing it is 1000/2000. It looks like the briefing was wrong.

The tax hike really brought me to the knee. I narely had enough profit to pay the taxes, and if I hadn't started to issue stock, then it would have been bad. The investors were constantly pissed off ever since.

Without any micromanagement I hauled 943/889/319/9/0. I chose broad gauge and barely got 45 cities in time for the decision (and even then it could be argued that I cheated in order to do it).

Guess I'll have to try harder the next time...
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Hi besterik!

Glad you enjoyed the game. I can almost promise you will do better on repeat play.

The income tax actually did happen and the payments (10% of revenue) are right as far as I can check. The reason for having it in the game is to skim off some of the huge amounts of money your railroad can generate from 1845 onward. Efficiency and profitability become very important. Rail maintenance increases several times, so make sure your routes pay!

You are correct that the briefing is wrong. *sigh* No matter how careful I try to be I still make mistakes. Sorry!

I will ship Hawk a corrected version shortly - I'll wait a day or so in case other errors are found - and as a bonus I will include a nifty new 'Rampant Lion' logo.

Thank you for your comments!
wsherrick
Engineer

Review Of British Miracle Unread post

I haven't finished it yet. I am up to 1850 at present. I am playing on Medium and selected Broad Gauge. This is a challenge to say the least. I started out by building from Liverpool to Manchester and connecting as many cities as I could with my start up cash. I also put stations in Birmingham and London to keep the AI's out of those cities. I managed to connect the 45 cities by 1843, but I had to do so by issuing the limit on bonds and issuing tons of stock, so I was happy that history was revised in a manner that I have always wished it could have been. I built feverishly in all directions to win the gauge war and now I have a sprawling railroad in all directions and I am trying make sense of what I have done and create some sort of rational flow of traffic. I haven't bought any industry because I am up to my neck in debt and my railroad is running in the red because of the crushing taxes, other costs and interest load, however; I will perservere and see if I can make it to Scotland. At least I haven't had to pay the fine for slow trains, I am keeping an express average of about 18 miles per hour.
So far I am enjoying the scenario even though I am 2 million in the hole. I didn't see any way that my railroad could have earned enough money to pay for the rapid expansion necessary to win the gauge war.
I am doing well with my hauling requirements so far and I don't see any difficulty in meeting the requirements in that department. The only lack I am having with raw materials is iron, but I am sure that is because of the random seeding process. Hopefully some more mines will pop up as time goes by.
This is not a complex game in theory, but in practice it is a hand full. I will let everyone know how it turns out. Hopefully, some others will post here and let us know how they fared.
I think that this is a must play for everyone, so get busy. :lol:
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Move coal! :D The number of loads of coal hauled by ALL railroads determines how productive industries are (including imports from docks). That absolutely drives everything... move coal! Move more coal! :lol:

The iron imports are at a low level until you move the maximum loads of coal and they expand again when the dock improvements are built. Building or taking advantage of steel mills helps tremendously when you need goods, weapons and ammo.

'In theory' using broad gauge should give you the ability to haul more loads with fewer locos because they move faster. The expense is in construction - not maintenance - so it should be possible for you to pay down that debt and start some industries. Using standard gauge will require you to double-track more lines and possibly build two stations for Birmingham and London. The 'fine' for moving express cargo < 12 mph isn't large but it is annoying and it adds up eventually.

When making connections I always look for multiple cities I can cover with one large station (such as the little towns around Manchester). Every connection helps! :D

I hope you enjoy this one - it isn't exactly the same as Japanese Miracle. For one thing the map is MUCH larger and that skews the cargo prices. But you are exactly correct that the goals are pretty simple to state and somewhat harder to achieve.

I have found that my biggest error with this map is to think I'll never pull out a victory. Concentrate on running a profitable railroad and making the required connections (Scotland has a lot of resources and you don't have to connect to it immediately to exploit them). The real surge in loads hauled happens once you've carried the maximum load of coal for a decade... then cotton and iron begin flowing and the numbers start adding up.

In short, this is a game for the LONG haul... my earliest win so far has been 1867 or 1868.
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Played this three times. First and Third on broad gauge which went well. On standard I got nowhere - can't really think why. First try I did well and just before deadline bought into Scotland and connected enough cities to win the gauge war. Issued virtually no stock but did have a lot of (low rate) bonds. This is where trouble started. I think the economy stopped booming and my trains were too slow so I kept getting fined and my cash was well minus - plus I was carrying none of the required goods (I was but, as always my computer fails to recognise it).

Third try I followed the same strategy - took over two competitors for their towns and trains and won again. I took out a bond more than needed and replaced all the original trains and made as many as possible express or freight only with all Express on priority. Just managed to be above speed limit for a few years and then it went below. Maybe I could have got it back up but as the almanac was registering nil goods carried (ridiculous cos, for example, I had a textile mill in Liverpool sending goods all over the place). Anyway I packed it in reasonably confident I could have got Gold but for the bug I've got.

I think there are three things for success.
(1) Take broad gauge
(2) No industry until you've won the gauge war, so build rails as fast as possible (and remember you don't need connected track)
(3) To start with you need trains carrying both cargos but IMMEDIATELY you have connected 45 cities switch old trains to Freight and buy new, fast, ones with max 4 carriages for Express and make them priority. If you can afford it double line busiest sections
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

:D I'm delighted to read your tips because they confirm the scenario will work with different styles of play. I almost always choose standard gauge and I double-track (sometimes double-station) and buy new locos rather than run special express-only trains. I almost never run custom consists unless I'm hauling cotton to and clothes from a mill, or coal from mines. Once enough coal is hauled to put my factories in gear I buy industry, particularly lumber and textile mills. I can't say my way is better - I look forward to trying your tactics. I am pleased the game seems to accomodate different methods.

I've usually connected the 45 cities by 1842-44, including a separate network in Scotland (Edinburgh-Glasgow-Ayr and Edinburgh to Aberdeen with all the cities in between). If you need a few cities before the deadline, extend up the east coast from London to Norwich (that's about six) or south from London to Brighton and Dover.

If anyone has the first version I recommend you upgrade to the latest, particularly since I lowered the tax bite in the upper brackets and made some adjustments in cargo imports.

I hope you enjoy playing (and replaying) this one! :D
Orange46
Dispatcher

Unread post

I'm in the process of playing this scenario on expert. First off, I fell in love with it the moment Britain came up. I like building in the British Isles and one of my RT2 scenarios is based here. Normally, I would start at London when playing here, but since the scenario recommended concentrating on laying down track, I decided to start at Liverpool where I could connect a whole load of cities before unpausing. And, since I was looking to build lots of track, standard guage was the way to go. I'll worry about maintaining it later - hey - I spent too many years building cheap american rails.

At first, I built connections between my railroads and their railroads and also used their stations. But, when I got to 40 stations, I built my own stations at the competitors towns and then proceeded to use my excess cash to start buying them out. I wasn't planning on buying them out as I wasn't in Scottland yet, but they were getting in my way. One RR was blocking my plans in the SW to get access to all of the needed resources there, two others were blocking an overpass free route from the north, and one RR had the audacity to make it's own connection with a neighbor. How dare they, that's my job. Needless to say, that RR is quite successful and I still haven't bought it out - but it will be a problem, as all the stock is out and I'm a minority holder.

It is now July 1847. Coal is going well, and the mills near Liverpool's docks seem to be giving me a fighting chance for textiles, but what to do about goods. There just isn't much iron around. The docks haven't been upgraded or whatever - that's what the ledger says, but at least I've gotton rid of that annoying monthly fine message. Although my overall average speed was and still is 11 mph, my express failed for about a year. The cost didn't bother me as I was getting 6 million a year in express revenue and I didn't want to muck that up, but the message was annoying. So, I bit the bullet and converted my Norris's to freight (they don't make much now) and built a bunch of ultra cool Beuth's to please the bleedin government. Express is now a whopping 14mph and revenues haven't suffered.

As for the future, let's hope that this proposed dock upgrade will get me a heck of a lot more iron, as I've only shipped 78 goods to date. Maybe I'll visit Ireland. They have a teeny amount of iron to exploit and need a nice factory.

Oh yes, I'm in Scottland, but I can't see any inexpensive way to get north of Inverness. I don't have the money to pay for tunnels or valley bridges, and building without these will make running express trains expensive - and maybe result in a $50K per month surcharge due to slowness. Gotta keep that bloomin speed up.
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Do the map layout and industry locations meet your expectations?

Remember that 1850 is only the halfway point. By all means take advantage of the dock improvements, shovel iron into steel mills (build one or two if you must) and get those goods rolling! Your best indicator here is to look at the number you are hauling per-year and get that up to the point that a victory is possible.

Best of luck - and do let us know how it comes out.
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

I made it to 1870 with a silver medal. I had the gold requirements for goods, weapons, ammo and clothing, but I was 800 short on the coal. I built a steel mill in Birmingham along with a weapons and ammo factory. To get the gold requirments for those I just assigned trains to wait for them to be manufactured and thus that was easy. The map is quite busy with all the AI activity. Toward the end of the game my computer began to slow down a little, but all was well. As soon as I was able I upgraded my engines with the latest designs and after I hooked up to Edinb. I began to seperate my freight and passenger trains.
Over all I liked the game very much. Next time I will have to start to work on my hauling requirements earlier.
EPH I know you worked your fingers to the bone on this one. I really admire how you set up the ledger to reflect the goals as they were met.
You did an excellent job on this. {,0,}
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Thank you! Comments are much appreciated and I always look forward to yours.

My 'coal' secret is to first build a line from Birmingham to Shrewsbury - there's usually coal moving up that river (the Wye I think). Then a little later I connect Worcester-Hereford and on to Cardiff. Usually that gets the coal flowing. I can't stress enough how vital it is to get coal moving early so that production (and imports) will boom.

I did put some thought into showing as much info as possible in the ledger so I'm glad you found it helpful. I didn't manage to get everything in the limited space but I did try. :) If you look inthe editor you will see many, many status events. :)

One question: One of my goals was to keep the player busy through the years. Was there enough going on to hold your interest?
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

I just got this scenario yesterday, and I'm currently in 1854. I won the battle of the gagues using broad gague a few years early :D (I think it was around 1840?), and I took the port upgrade, and the cotton and Iron are just flowing in, as the total coal loads between me and the AI's are around 30-50 per year. I especially like all the little historical tidbits you threw in there every so often. Great Scenario all around!! :)
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

One question: One of my goals was to keep the player busy through the years. Was there enough going on to hold your interest?

Yes, I was busy paying off bonds, trying to keep my railroad solvent and meet the haulage requirements. I don't think you need to add anything else to it in my humble opinion. It's fine the way it is.
Orange46
Dispatcher

Unread post

Part 2

I never did make it into Ireland. Just after I left off, my RR went into hard times. The combination of splitting express from cargo hurt profitability and then the increased weight of the 1850's slowed me down so that I was no longer maintaining speed. Now, the fines hurt, whereas they hadn't earlier. We limped along for a number of years with barely enough money to buy out one of the two remaining RR's and to do other critical stuff (like replacing crashed trains) and then the civil war came. Fortunately, coal and clothing were looking good, so we didn't miss the cotton. But goods - I never did get that going. I suppose I could have really micromaged shipping them, but I was too busy trying to restore profitability during the '50s. One year my estimated tax bill exceeded my statement profit from the prior year. What bloodsuckers.

At the end of the civil war I put the game on high speed. There was no chance of shipping 1,000 goods let alone 50 of weapons and ammo, which would be competing for the same supplies. I finally had plenty of money, but just not enough goods. In 1869 I hit gold for coal and 4 months after the time limit I hit gold for clothing (that could have been easily made if I wasn't on fast), but goods topped out around 600.

No, I didn't need more to do, thank you very much.

Normally, I don't like speed requirements in this game since they are usually unrealistic. You get penalized for taking stuff uphill and for dong services that should be done in the station while the train is taking on passengers. But in this scenario, you could meet the requirements by just doing realistic things, like minimizing mixed trains and double tracking.

I also don't usually like to deliver tons of cargo, but here it was fairly straight forward (except for goods for me and coal for others) and gave me a reason to manage the trains over the years.

Overall, a fun historical scenario that is also a true challenge.
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Thank you for the comments! If you find ways I can improve this one (or any of mine) please let me know. Just because it is available doesn't mean it is 'right'.

The structure of the goals is, as you suspected, intentional. Coal is relatively easy to haul without much micromanagement and cotton-to-clothes is also fairly straightforward (especially if you use dedicated trains to 'snag' the cotton to your own mills :) ). To make the goals for goods, however, you do have to micromanage somewhat. Especially important is getting iron and coal to steel mills and using the 1+1=2 steel to power tool and die works plus weapons and ammo plants. Micromanagement is especially important because you get significant quantities of iron late in the game. You will probably need maximum coal hauling PLUS dock improvements.

Sometimes I go into Ireland - if there are a lot of resources there - and sometimes not. It can be a good place to make some easy hauls of clothing and goods, plus a good source of lumber and alcohol. But in some games there just isn't much there, so I don't bother.

By 'enough to do' I mean is there a good mix between 'stuff to do' and having fun? I hate games where I feel trapped by the rules. So I guess I'm asking, 'Was it fun? Boring? Too hard, or tedious?'

The 'speed' rule was not my idea. I hate that sort of thing myself unless it is solidly grounded in a rational cause, like wsherrick's qualification for mail contracts. But in the course of my research I ran across the actual Parliamentary bill that required the railroads to carry 3rd class passengers and set a minimum speed limit. When I saw that, I knew I had to include it. The effect is more psychological than real; getting rid of that annoying railway inspector and his citation pad makes it worthwhile. :) Usually I can get around the 12 mph rule by double-tracking, using good locos (Firefly-type especially) and sometimes putting two stations in Birmingham and London. I've never had to run dedicated express trains, though I have done so (and made $$$) on special runs like Londo to Edinburgh.

Again, please let me know if there are any changes that you reccomend be made.

Any comments on the logos?
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

Just FYI, I got gold last night. And I has gotten close a few times before. The scenario is fun and hard enough for you to want to try and get the gold, because with some practise you can get close. However the seeding of the map seems to make a lot of difference, sometimes you can haul a lot of coal and get the gold for coal five years in advance and sometimes you get it in the last year, same with clothes. Often there seems to be an inverse connection, so usually one of them is easy and the other one harder. The winning time clothes was easy and coal wasn't over 2000 until 1868 or early 1869. However the big hurdle is always iron, with very little in the beginning and hardly enough even if you pay for the dock upgrades. And those Tool And Dies are everywhere, making sure that there isn't that much profit in goods.

Some strategic thoughts:
* I have used broad gauge every time, since the traffic jams would be even worse with standard gauge.
* In the end I had about 140 trains running, almost all Cramptons, with a few Beuths or similair that ran in Scotland and a few other places with less flat terrain. The Planets and Adlers were upgraded to Fireflys as soon as possible while the Norrises were not updated until it could be to Cramptons. Then the Fireflys got updated when they crashed (and they are a unreliable bunch of crap) or got old and I could afford to spend money to upgrade them instead of build tracks o r something.
* In the end I had two stations in London, Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester. Double track on the main line from Liverpool, through Manchester, Stoke-on-Trent and Birmingham to Leichester and then two separate single lines to London (one through Northhampton and Watford and the second through Peterborough and Cambridge, connecting to two different London stations) and I had a insanely amount of track in the general Liverpool-Manchester area.
* The only AI that I bought up, was one that was kind enough to early to issue a lot of about 15%-rate bonds to connect Leeds with my Manchester station, that didn't pay off, so I could get a really good line for less than half of it's CBV. I tried buying up AI's in the past, but my experience is that generally, you have to spend lots of time (and money) on making the branch points better and rerouting trains and upgrade stations and collect money to buy the stocks, and you kind of loses momentum afterwards. Generally I just place my own track and stations in the more interesting cities that the AI connects and competes for the things to haul.
* This time I decided to buy three steel mills in different localtions in order to try and make more goods of the same amount of iron, before I have ususally only built just one steel mill or none at all, but in the future I will probably focus more on steel and less on expansion after 1856
* I bought into Ireland, but only in the last years, so that the Iron from Dublin would be hauled to a Tool And Die in Belfast, instead of being shipped over the ocean to Wales, which at some point would be futile, since it wouldn't reach my steel mill before the game being over.
* It can help to make some or all trains converted to only haul goods in order to boost up the total number of goods hauled (I converted 25 and then became tired of doing so and just tested to see if it was enough to get gold, which it was). I also hade specialized Ammo and Weapon trains that would do as many stops as posible in order to boost the number of A&W that was shipped, I think that there was a total of about 20 Weapons and 20 Ammo produced during the game, but it was enough to get the haulage requirement.
* Of course, expand like crazy and try and be profitable and issue stock often are the general themes of the game. I think that I had taken out the full amount of bonds before 1840, and then they were converted to 5%-bonds when the prime rate fell.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

I finished another go at this one last night and got Gold on Expert in 1858. I used standard gauge and won the gauge war several years ahead of time. I let the AIs build as they wanted, but prevented them from connecting to my track with strategically placed Post Offices (at the stub-ends of their track). When I saw one that had connected cities I wanted, I slowly bought into them and took them over. I started with the Manchester/Liverpool connection, then a London to Slough and later built lines radiating out of Birmingham. Branched out from there. I once tried to block all AI building by putting track in most of the prime cities, but this was not a good strategy because I couldn't haul all the coal that was needed to jump-start the economy. The AIs have their place early on, so don't stifle them too much.

I didn't do anything special to make the speed req. except upgrade to Fireflys and replace them after they were 10 yrs. old. As the lines branched out and traffic increased, especially in the Liverpool-Manchester line, I double tracked. When I had enough money, I double-tracked over the mountains from Manchester to Leeds and on from there. Having played the scenario before, I knew about the Weapons and Ammo req. so I built a Weapons Factory in London and a Munitions Factory right next to two iron mines around Leicester (I think). One trick that helps to meet the haul reqs for these cargoes is to park a train to pick op the cargos, with custom consist maxed out to 8 loads. Select an itinerary that visits stations with increasing price at each stop and just decrease the custom consist by one or two of the desired cargo. I was able to make 4 stops along the way from the munitions factory to the final destination and delivered 8+6+4+2=20 loads of Ammo in one run. After the first train was filled at the factory, I cloned it and had it sitting waiting for the next full load. Three trains met the haul req with some to spare. I guess that's one reason I'm not real keen an # of loads hauled goals, especially now with the "ship at a loss" feature of custom consists.

I must say, this is a fun map, and I especially like the historical tidbits thrown in to make the game interesting.
Orange46
Dispatcher

Unread post

This map illustrates why it's too bad that RT3 uses the cargo payment system it does. It would be much better if the game only counted cargoes deliverd by train to an end user, but as the game is designed, this would not be possible. But, counting cargoes used should be possible and would make for more realistic delivery goals. I dislike using the chain cargo delivery method but used it extensively to get my silver medal in this scenario. That was the only low point, all else being great about the scenario.